Wednesday 23 March 2011

The Next Generation....




I haven't done well with my picks lately. I picked Vitor over Anderson, Hughes over Penn, Penn over Edgar the 2nd time, and yes you guessed it.... I picked Shogun over Bones. It's another reason I love MMA because you never know what the fuck is going to happen!!

When Jones suplexed Stephan Bonar I shot Swayze a puzzled look and said "who the fuck is this guy?!" Well now we know exactly how he is. He's the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. He's the guy that just destroyed Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in a brutally lop sided fight, something I thought I'd never say.


Almost every website is a little reluctant to start speculating just how long Jones will be champ, we've made that mistake before when Machida won the belt, but one controversial decision and one KTFO later and the Machida Era was over. We don't want to make the same mistake with Bones, but can he really be put into the same context as Machida? Personally I don't think he should, this man is something else and I truly believe that he will be the champ for a while. I don't see Rashad being able to work his game plan against Jones, but these two have trained together for a long time and they know each other very well, but will it make any difference? We'll find out soon enough.

Jones is the start of a new breed, something Joe Rogan talks about a lot. These athletes with amazing ability to learn and move forward at a phenomenal rate. Have we reached the "Jones Era"?? We'll wait till he's defended his title a few times against some top contenders and then we'll decide that. But it's probably a safe bet....

No comments:

Post a Comment